THE NIGHTLY CHILL
By Steve Arviso
A Winning Hand (Teaser).
FIGHT THE DAWN!
As the sunlit sanity of the waking world burns the night to ash,
embrace the unbound madness of your wildest dreams,
laugh into the endless abyss of your darkest fantasies,
and rage against the coming dawn.
The Nightly Chill is the unstable experience of the mind and madness of Steve Arviso (@AmoralCrackpot). Mon-Fri. Ish.
- WE ARE THE LOST
- THE MIDNIGHT HOUR
- TONIGHT’S TALE…
- LAUGH THE PAIN AWAY
Circle-jerky self-validating 2019-in-review!
(in no particular order of self-pleasure)
- co-started and killed a show at a live venue
- burned bridges worth torching to ash
- we moved much closer to the beach and not out of California
- actually paid to write/perform/produce
- wrote and produced 2 fully-realized, albeit short form audio dramas
- wrote and published a new lil’ book
- sold some copies of my 2018 poetry collection
- had several someones from the audience hug me and tell me they loved my work
- had a fan/associate tell me they respect me and my work
- did some VO work for a client for the first time in a very long time
- quit a weird but nasty little addiction that helped my mental health tremendously
- started a newsletter and hit triple-digit reads in the first month
- got multiple industry professionals to read, listen, watch, like, and share my goofy shit
- completed several other audio-, screen-, and teleplays
- finally kicked-off a long-gestating series of teleplays/stage plays to produce in 2020
- reunited with several talented friends and peers to write, produce, and perform in a wonderful night of comedy at a place I didn’t think I missed so much
- pissed off some weenies and squares
- and scared the shit out of the middle class
Not the best list, I suppose. But it could have been worse. I could have accomplished nothing all year for free and gotten snippy about it.
Lots to come in 2020. The Nightly Chill will be going live, Monday through Friday on Mixer. The Midnight Hour’s first season–a trilogy of episodes teased in the last several issues–will be fully written, published here, and, hopefully, performed live in some fashion. And hopefully in some venue. New PulpBusters audioplays will be performed live, recorded, and available to listen on Spotify. And a new series of pulp-inspired short films (scripts) will make its debut, my love letter to classic comics and shows like Tales from the Crypt and Tales from the Darkside. All this, and much more!
WE ARE THE LOST
The Nightly Chill wants to show some love to a variety of cool shit from local and other independent artists, performers, and assorted creative types!
Hit us up if you make:
- Music, audio dramas
- Genre fiction, poetry, films, etc!
The weirder, the better!
We are The Lost. And together, we’ll make sure the world sees and hears us.
JASON IS UP LATE
Comedy by Jason King, who is up late.
VIRAL LOAD PODCAST
PulpBusters is a collection of original genre-fiction audio plays inspired by classic pulp radio serials and anthologies.
THE MIDNIGHT HOUR
“A WINNING HAND”
A winning hand turns a desperate man’s luck around. But when he doubles-down on his own greed, he loses more than he wagered.
Darkness. The slow, heavy ticking of an unseen clock echoes in otherwise still silence.
Far from the comforting warmth of daylight, in a world cloaked in shadow… our darkest and most primal fears fester, waiting for the chance to consume us whole… as we lay awake, forever unable to sleep… in The Midnight Hour.
The clock strikes midnight, light breaks the darkness, and we FADE TO
EXT. HOLLYWOOD – DAY
Hollywood, California. The rolling hills, iconic sign, and Los Angeles skyline bask in seemingly endless sunshine and clear skies. Palm tree-lined roads of Beverly Hills give way to the Sunset Strip. And crowds of tourists gather along Hollywood Boulevard.
Hollywood. A land of movie magic… countless dreams… and a limited supply of opportunities.
A city block in a less reputable corner of town. A line a mile long wraps around it. Men and women of all ages and backgrounds recite lines, chatter among themselves, or get into their own heads. These are actors waiting their turn at an open audition.
HOST (V.O.) (CONT’D)
To some, these people are little more than dreamers waiting for their ship to come in. To others, artists and craftsmen. But at this moment, they are gamblers… offering up years of their blood, sweat, and tears… all for a mere opportunity at a chance for something more than dreams.
HOWARD HAGGERTY, 45, reads and recites his lines to himself near the front of the line. He’s not the oldest person here, but his age and experience stand in stark contrast to the youthful appearance and energy of those around him.
HOST (V.O.) (CONT’D)
Mr. Howard Haggerty, aged forty-five. Once a star of stage, screen, and radio, Mr. Haggerty is now as much a gambler as those around him.
MAN WITH A CLIPBOARD waves Howard and several others in.
MAN WITH CLIPBOARD
(shouting to the line)
Next group, please!
The group enters single-file, Howard at the rear.
HOST (V.O.) (CONT’D)
And unfortunately for Mr. Haggerty… his next starring role isn’t around the corner… but center stage in tonight’s tale of dreams, love, and what comes after.
Howard enters, disappears inside the building as we FADE OUT.
TO BE CONTINUED…
Tonight, CHILL with an absurd twisted romance between a photographer, a housewife, and her husband–a surgeon who enjoys getting a little blood on his hands! READ “Pale Horse,” a pulp-inspired play of tragedy and supernatural justice.
LAUGH THE PAIN AWAY
Bits of original nonsense from a moron.
SUBSCRIBE FOR THAT WALK-OF-SHAME FEELING EVERY MORNING AFTER!
If you enjoy The Nightly Chill and would like to support my work, please consider supporting it via Patreon for as little as $1 a month.
YOU ARE NOT ALONE
THE NIGHTLY CHILL